Monday, February 10, 2014

What Should I Pack?

Because of the nature of my trip, I did my best to make a somewhat set itinerary of things I must do while I'm in the Philippines, but kept the majority of my time open for variation. That also influenced the majority of the decisions I had to make when packing for this trip. Here are some of the questions I asked myself before going on this trip, and they're the same questions I ask myself on any of my travels--whether at home or abroad.

Nota Bene

I tried an experiment this time around, using a bunch of philosophies I've compiled while looking at minimalist living and ultra-light backpacking. If you're interested in looking at minimalist thought, or ultra-light backpacking techniques, I recommend Leo Babauta's excellent ZenHabits, a read through Wikipedia's ultra-light backpacking article, and a browse through Steve Gillman's The Ultra-light Backpacking Site.

How am I holding my things?

One of the big threes when backpacking is the actual pack itself, the vessel in which all your stuff goes. Consider what kind of bag, or bags, you want to bring with you; it will help put light in all the stuff you can bring.

What do I need to bring?

I can't stress the word need enough, here! People who are regular travelers have noticed the gigantic swarm of people in security, or through airport restricted areas, carrying oodles of rolling carry-on bags, purses, laptop bags, sleeves, and many other items. In my opinion, the majority of people who travel tend to bring too much stuff with them, instead of too little. Not only is it a hassle before a departure, but it's even more of a hassle during travel and after travel.

Packing tons of things, especially for us Western-minded folks, is a normal thought, but I've found that the phenomenon is based more on a fear of potentially living without it, or a fear of not finding it, while on a trip. Furthermore, if there's any attachment at all to anything brought, the constant anxiety will remain in a person's head. All in all, it just clutters up what could be a wonderful adventure, and potentially separates you from the present moment, no matter where you are.

On that note, I suggest starting with the things you truly need in order to function or survive. Do you take medication? Make sure to bring it with you. Do you wear glasses or contacts? Bring both, and consider either bringing cleaning solution with you or buying some at your destination. Are you going to backpack, or are your pursuits more urbane? Consider what you truly need to fulfill having your Big Three during your travels: shelter, sleeping system, and the actual pack.

Start your packing list with needs in mind, and look at each item while asking yourself, honestly, Do I need this to function? If your answer isn't a whole-hearted yes, you probably don't need to bring it.

What do I need to bring to do the things I want to do?

The Well-Travelled Guru, whenever traveling, goes diving and participates in other watersports, so whenever she goes on an International adventure that involves play in the water--whether ocean, sea, lake, or puddle--makes sure to bring what she needs with her that she can't get, or can't get easily, while abroad. After you've compiled a list of things that you truly need to survive, look at your desired itinerary and figure out what you need to bring, if anything, for the attractions or events in which you participate.

I'm a bit of an urban adventurer, or a natural walking/hiking/sightseeing kind of guy, so thankfully the most specialized thing I really need on my trip is just a good pair of comfortable shoes.

How much of my needed items do I need to bring with me?

Really consider this question based on your true needs and your ability to scavenge for what you need in case you need more of it. Many times travelers have a tendency to pack more than needed, even if, in their minds, they feel they need all those items.

What do I want to bring?

After securing all the stuff I need, I consider the things that I want to bring: books, video games, perfumes and colognes, extra clothing, tobacco, snacks, and other little sundries or knick-knacks. Add those items to your list of things, then, just like with the needs, ask yourself honestly if you really need to bring those things with you. The Way to Love by Anthony DeMello is always in my travel pack in some form, and is a heart-felt yes whenever I travel. Those three other books I wanted to bring, however, usually stay home when I actually think about how much reading time I'll have.

Do I really need everything on the list?

By now you should have a list of items that you need and want. Look over each item once more and ask yourself if you really need to bring it with you, and why? At second glance, you might realize you don't need all those books, or shoes, or clothes; or you may just consider grabbing some non-essential toiletries when you get to your destination.

Can I fit it all in my pack?

Start to pack for your trip after you made the list, just to see if it will all comfortably fit, and to see if it's well weighted. If it's too heavy for you while traveling around, you probably need a better pack, or you have too much stuff. If you can't fit it all in your pack, again, you probably need a better pack, or you have too much stuff. Unless you have a lot of specialized kit to bring, the reason is almost always too much stuff.

What I brought to the Philippines

A backpack and a messenger bag on a bed.

My Packs (1 Laptop Messenger Bag, 1 Small Hand Bag, 1 Backpack, 1 Duffel Bag)

It sounds like a lot of bags, but the handbag and the duffel bag can be compressed enough to fit in the backpack with the stuff I wasn't bringing with my carry-on. I ended up using the small hand bag the majority of the time, but I brought a backpack along to hold things in case I'm in situations where I need to carry and use both hands (like riding a Jeepney's overflow seating--that is, clinging to the edge of the jeep and praying to the heavens that your driver is careful). In addition, I need room for souvenirs that I'll, no doubt, be bringing back.

All my travel clothing in the closet

Clothes (2 Boxers, 2 Under-Shirts, 2 Socks, 2 Pants, 1 Short-Sleeve Button-Up Shirt, 1 Long-Sleeve Button-Up Shirt, 1 Rain Jacket, 1 Sweater, 1 Hat, 1 Pair of Shoes)

ExOfficio, owned by Marmot, is famous for its line of Give-n-Go Underwear. It's antibacterial, quick drying, and very easy to wash in a sink. However, they sell more than just underwear, and their entire line of clothing is durable and easy-maintenance enough to suffer through my kind of wear and tear, and look presentable enough to wear at any occasion, though their styles don't go anything above what would be considered business casual.

I brought along two pieces each of ExOfficio's Give-n-Go line of undergarments: crew-neck undershirt and boxers. The socks I brought are 100% nylon, making them equally durable and easy to maintain and wash while I travel. I also brought ExOfficio's Nomad Pants, one khaki, one slate; and two of their GeoTrek'r line of button-up shirts, short-sleeved ensign, and long-sleeved white. The hat, given to me by a dear friend, simply helps with sun blocking, the sweater was for airplane travel and colder days (hah, hah, hah; I haven't touched it at any time during my stay in the Philippines), the rain jacket is just for rainy days, and the shoes are a durable leather and slip-resistant affair.

Notice I only brought two outfits with me. I've been washing the underwear in the sink every night after use because they're quick drying, and the clothing itself I only wash if need-be. It takes me 10 minutes to wash and rinse them out with soap, and they hang in the bathroom overnight to dry while I sleep.

Travel toiletries

Toiletries (6oz Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Soap, Aveda Chakra No. 7 Body Mist, Toothbrush, Washcloth, Towel)

Dr. Bronner's soaps are advertised having 18 uses, and I can vouch for all of them. It's a perfect soap for travel because of it's versatility (you can even brush your teeth with it, though the experience is, well, interesting), and a TSA-approved bottle of it can go a long way. I've been using it here as a body wash, shampoo, toothpaste (when I run out, that is), and for washing my clothes. Tea Tree oil has a pleasant scent and is a natural anti-bacterial as well, so I bring a bottle around just to wash my hands, too.

Chakra No. 7 is there to provide some scent, and is an item purely on my want-to-bring list. It smells nice used as a unisex eau de cologne, and can freshen up a room.

The washcloth and towel are for times when I end up needing or wanting to bathe in places where I might not be provided such items. The towel is made out of quick-drying and water absorbing microfiber , while the washcloth is a waffle-weaved quick-drying nylon.

Eye Wear and Care (Two Pairs of Contact Lenses, Re-Wetting Drops, 4-in-1 Contact Solution, Carrying Case, Prescription Glasses, Sunglasses)

The Philippines is a very hot climate, and I pre-emptively planned for drier eyes, not to mention losing my contacts while going on adventures. I brought everything I need in order to maintain my eyes and my contacts; brought some glasses for days I don't want to wear them, or if I lose them; and brought some sunglasses to keep the sun at bay.

Nintendo 3DS XL and Microsoft Surface Pro

Communications (Nokia E7-00, Microsoft Surface Pro)

This particular Sherpa's been nicknamed TOTS by a dear friend, which stands for Turn-Off-Technology. I got the nickname because it never fails that I have a gadget that can be helpful at any time in any situation. Bringing electronics is a tricky situation, because when you go on a trip there's always a risk of losing it, despite your care. However, I wanted a way to make contact easily overseas, and the two devices I have help accomplish that, and provide other benefits.

For travelers going overseas that want a reliable communication device, I absolutely recommend one of Nokia's Symbian smartphones: the E7-00, designed with business communications in mind; the N8, a good all-rounder phone; or the 808 PureView, packed with a 41 MP camera that's still considered top of its class. The hardware and the software is obviously aged, especially for folks spoiled by the likes of Apple, Windows Phone, or Android. However, the major social network accoutrements (that is, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn), Skype calling and instant messaging, e-mail and PIM functionality, and camera/video functions are all there and ready to use. These phones are considered world phones, meaning they have quad-band GSM, making them capable for use by pretty much any GSM cellular network for calls and SMS. However, they're one of the few phones capable of Penta-Band 3G, making them capable of also using 3G data networks practically everywhere. Find them on eBay or at other places, because Nokia doesn't make those models anymore.

I brought a Microsoft Surface Pro with me so I can write about my travels. The form factor of the Surface line of products doesn't work for everyone, but its hybrid combination of laptop and tablet works extremely well for my purposes. Plus, it's extremely lightweight for the functions I get out of it. Not only can I get work done, but I have something to occupy myself on the plane--not to mention that all my e-books are on it, ready to be read whenever I want.

Entertainment (Nintendo 3DS XL, Headphones)

I bring around a Nintendo 3DS XL everywhere with me, but that doesn't mean I play on it constantly. However, it is there whenever I want to take 3D pictures. Plus, if there are any other 3DS owners while I travel, I can connect with them just by passing by, and can know where they are from if they listed it on their 3DS. It's interesting to see who else is here and where they're from if they traveled abroad.

Conclusion

I've only been gone a week from home, but I've never felt a need of anything else while I've been here. There's very little stress and worry about my stuff's safety, and that comfort has freed me to enjoy my trip in however which way it presents itself. Plus, with my check-in bag only weighing 10 pounds, and my carry-on around 6 pounds, traveling with bags was a breeze through security, jets, and taxis. I certainly suggest trying to pack light next time around when you travel. As always the Sherpa and the Guru are here to help with any questions you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment